Last night in London, Stanley Tucci hosted the 2022 World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards. In the ceremony’s 20th edition, Geranium in Copenhagen, Denmark, scooped up the prize for the best restaurant in the world.
Previously, Geranium held the number two spot on the prestigious list. The rise comes after last year’s winner, Noma, was elevated to the ‘Best of the Best’ category. This makes it two wins in two years for Denmark.
Where is Geranium?
Geranium is in Copenhagen, Denmark. It opened in 2007 and is situated on the eighth floor of the city’s National Football Stadium.
At its helm is Rasmus Kofoed, the only person to ever win bronze, silver and gold in the world chef championships, Bocuse d’Or.
What is Geranium?
The best restaurant in the world offers a sit-down 16-course tasting menu which focuses on seasonal ingredients, a meatless menu and sensational wine pairings. It also has three Michelin stars. It’s pretty fancy, to say the least.
One to Watch and Champions for Change awards
Elsewhere, the World’s 50 Best Restaurants ‘One to Watch’ award went to AM par Alexandre Mazzia in Marseille while the ‘Champions for Change’ award was given to #CookforUkraine founders Olia Hercules and Alissa Timoshkina.
New kids on the block
The latter is a Mexican-British fusion famous for its seasonality while the former takes inspiration from nature’s purity and exhibits elegant yet casual service.
The full list of The World’s 50 Best Restaurant awards 2022, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, can be seen below.
The World’s 50 Best Restaurant List
- 1. Geranium, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2. Central, Lima, Peru
- 3. Disfrutar, Barcelona, Spain
- 4. Diverxo, Madrid, Spain
- 5. Pujol, Mexico City
- 6. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Spain
- 7. A Casa do Porco, Sao Paolo
- 8. Lido 84, Gardone Riviera, Italy
- 9. Quintonil, Mexico City, Mexico
- 10. Le Calandre, Rubano, Italy
- 11. Maido, Lima, Peru
- 12. Uliassi, Senigallia, Italy
- 13. Steirereck Vienna, Austria
- 14. Don Julio, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 15. Reale, Castel Di Sangro, Italy
- 16. Elkano, Getaria, Spain
- 17. Nobelhart & Schmutzig, Berlin, Germany
- 18. Alchemist, Copenhagen, Denmark, Copenhagen
- 19. Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy
- 20. Den, Tokyo, Japan
- 21. Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain
- 22. Septime, Paris
- 23. The Jane, Antwerp
- 24. The Chairman, Hong Kong
- 25. Frantzèn, Stockholm, Sweden
- 26. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin, Germany
- 27. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belg
- 28. Le Clarance, Paris, France
- 29. St. Hubertius, San Cassiano, Italy
- 30. Florilège, Tokyo, Japan
- 31. Arpège, Paris, France
- 32. Mayta, Lima, Peru
- 33. Atomix, New York City
- 34. Hiša Franko, Kobarid, Slovenia
- 35. The Clove Club, London, United Kingdom
- 36. Odette, Singapore
- 37. Fyn, Cape Town, South Africa
- 38. Jordnær, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 39. Sorn, Bangkok, Thailand
- 40. Schloss Schauenstein, Fürstenau, Switzerland
- 41. La Cime, Osaka, Japan
- 42. Quique Dacosta, Denia, Spain
- 43. Boragó, Santiago, Chile
- 44. Le Bernardin, New York City
- 45. Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
- 46. Belcanto, Lisbon, Portugal
- 47. Oteque, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 48. Leo, Bogota, Colombia
- 49. Ikoyi, London, United Kingdom
- 50. SingleThread, Healdsburg, California
Feature image credit: Robbie Jay Baratt – AMA/Getty Images & David M. Bennett/Getty Images